We know that there’s a lot of people out there who are real do-it-yourselfers. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, the best pest control is preventative pest control. That being said, major infestations are best handled by pest experts. If you do elect to handle the problem yourself, there are a number of guidelines that you should readily consider. You will be working with dangerous chemicals that put you, your pets, and your family in danger.
Prevention Techniques To Manage An Infestation
Prevention techniques are better suited to preventing an infestation rather than managing one. However, it’s a good place to start for DIY pest control. The problem is that many folks go straight for pesticides. Your first step should be to remove the sources of food and water that made your home attractive to pests in the first place.
Even in the event that the chemical pesticide kills off 99% of the pests in your home, there’s a chance that 1% is resistant to the pesticide. If that 1% then balloons again into a major infestation, you have an infestation where a large number of the pests are resistant to the pesticide. If you do it again and you kill off 50-60% of the population, congratulations, you’ve just bred a super pest.
Here’s what you should do:
- Remove, to the extent possible, food, water, and shelter – This means throwing out open containers of food or otherwise securing them in places where they can’t be opened or access. Check under sinks for moisture or pooling water and fix leaky plumbing. Remove, to the extent possible, clutter from your home.
- Limit access – You want to caulk cracks around your cabinets and baseboards. Take a look along the perimeter of your home. If you see any obvious cracks, seal them. You can cover holes with wire mesh and use steel wool to fill spaces around pipes.
- Know your enemy – Much of what pest control technicians bring to the table is knowledge about specific pests. If you can learn about your pest’s behavior you can devise strategies to keep them out.
Using Pesticides Safely
Most pesticides kill insects and rats because they’re some kind of poison or neurotoxin. In other words, they can kill you too in large enough quantities. Most pesticides you can purchase come with warnings related to their application. You should heed these warnings absolutely. You should keep your children and your pets away from the areas where the pesticides have been applied for the recommended amount of time.
- Try baits first – Baits present a much lower risk to children and pets than other forms of spray pesticides do. Sometimes they can be used effectively and coupled with preventative techniques can lower the pest population enough to render it unnoticeable.
- Use pesticides in targeted locations – You don’t want to be spraying dangerous pesticides willy nilly. You want to use them in locations where you believe that there’s a nest.
- Bug bombs – Bug bombs should only be used when absolutely necessary and you should read the packaging thoroughly. You will not be able to be in the house when the bug bomb goes off and your pets and family will need to be elsewhere as well.
- NEVER apply more pesticide than the directions specify – You could be putting your family in danger.
It’s important to understand that if anyone is harmed by your use of pesticide, you can be held liable for their medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more. Professional pest control experts are well aware of this and take all measures possible to reduce exposure and conduct the process of extermination safely. Furthermore, a professional pest control expert will likely use eco-friendly treatment plans derived from 100 percent natural ingredients that are safer and environmentally conscious.
Disposing Of Leftover Pesticides
You’ll need to read the packaging on the correct way to dispose of leftover pesticides. In some cases, you can find hazardous waste collection locations in your community that will accept pesticides.
Additionally, you do not want to transfer the content of the pesticide to another container. Simply find the correct place to dispose of it. If someone is injured by an improperly disposed of pesticide, you can be sued for damages related to their injuries.
Local Pest Control Experts At Elevate Pest Control Can Help
If you need to manage your pest problem, we can help. At Elevate Pest Control, we make the Natural Choice – we are committed to offering safe and environmentally friendly pest control options to manage any problem you may have. We ensure your safety and your family’s, while removing your pest issue. We can also advise you on the best preventative techniques to control the problem once the initial infestation has been eradicated. Call us today for a free inspection. We can help!