Not only do rodents cause millions of dollars in property damage each year, they are vectors for numerous different types of diseases. This includes the plague and hantavirus. Their urine and feces can potentially contaminate your food and, if they get into your walls, they can do serious damage to your electrical work.
Left unchecked, a few rodents can turn into a major infestation in no time. What do most homeowners do when they’re dealing with a rodent problem? They put out traps. But the traps that work on mice will not work on rats and vice versa. In addition, trapping does not prevent the underlying cause of the problem: Your home is accessible to rodents.
At Elevate Pest Control, we provide full anti-rodent measures from safely deploying traps and poison to shoring up your defenses to prevent future rodent infestations. Below, we’ll discuss rodent control and how it works.
Mundane Facts About Rodents
Rodents are warm-blooded mammals that have adapted to survive in just about every climate in the world. They breed extremely rapidly which affords them the ability to replenish their population quickly. Populations explode exponentially when left unchecked. Even one rat in your home can cause damage. When it’s hundreds or thousands, the damage can be extensive.
Rodents are believed to be responsible for the spread of the Black Death throughout Europe in the Middle Ages. Today, they still carry the disease responsible for that outbreak known simply as “plague”.
Interesting Facts About Rodents
Each year, 21 million homes across the U.S. find themselves with a serious rodent problem. It takes constant vigilance to keep them out and neighborhood efforts at preventing the problem often need to be enacted. Once they have a foothold in your home, they’re hard to get rid of. They also have some amazing abilities.
- Rats have amazing teeth. One of the reasons why rats are so destructive is that they need to chew constantly to file down their teeth. Not only do they chew to open holes in your woodwork, but they chew just to keep their teeth sufficiently filed down. Their teeth are also remarkably strong. They can chew through lead, cinder blocks, aluminum siding, and just about anything else as well.
- Mice are amazing acrobats. If you’re going around the foundation of your home wondering how those mice got in, you might want to look up instead. They may have gotten in through your attic having scaled electrical lines to get there. Mice can also scale vertical walls and jump over a foot in the air. Mice can fit through a hole that’s about the size of a nickel while rats can fit through one about the size of a quarter.
- Rats are excellent swimmers. Rats can tread water for three days. If you think flushing them down the toilet will stop them, think again. Sometimes they swim right back up the plumbing and back into your toilet!
- Rodents are vectors for disease. Mice and rats especially are vectors for a number of diseases. Their urine and feces are especially dangerous. They use their urine to mark trails and find their way to food. Food contaminated with rodent urine and feces must be thrown out.
- Rodents are always hungry. While people eat about three meals a day, rodents eat around 20. They’re always looking for food and, when they’re not, it’s because they’re eating it. Kitchens and pantries are very likely places for a rodent nest.
- Rodents are omnivorous. Rodents like a wide variety of foods and strive for a healthy, balanced diet. When times are tough, rodents will take to eating each other.
Talk To A Local Rodent Exterminator For Help
If you have a rodent infestation in your home, you need to act quickly. Luckily, there is a simple solution. Just pick up your phone and call the Denver rodent control experts at Elevate Pest Control. Our technicians provide safe and efficient rat and mouse control in your home. We will conduct a full inspection of your premises and determine the most likely way that rodents are accessing your home. We will deal with the problem you already have in a way that ensures that both your pets and your children are safe.
We can also help you with:
- Raccoons, and
Let our expertise provide you with a solution that saves you time and money. Elevate Pest Control has the proper tools, certifications, and training necessary to deal with a serious rodent infestation. Talk to us today for a free inspection and for the best local pest control in Denver.
Other Service Areas in Colorado:
If you do not see your location on the list, please contact us to learn more about our service areas.